Saturday, October 11, 2014

Screenprinting Silk Scarves

From time to time I revisit screenprinting scarves - I've tried only silk to date (which I'm sure I've mentioned in previous posts) and it is quite tricky because the fabric is so fine, but I guess it is only a matter of practice to perfect the technique (as it has been with my current printing on linen).

I keeping thinking scarves should be coloured and that lead to experimenting with dying the silk - using Procion dyes (but I hate these chemicals, and then I would have to try and match with screen printing inks). Then I tried painting the silk with watered down screen printing ink - a blotchy mess.

And then I had a light bulb moment - just today - why not just leave as white. And print using white inks. White on white - very cool.



A bit of a way to go before I am completely happy - in the mean time I'll road test this one. And also try printing on white cotton scarves.

No comments: